Sunday, December 27, 2015

How did contributing to Wikipedia help me understand the concept of globalization?

How did contributing to Wikipedia help me understand the concept of globalization?


It hasn't been long that I start to use Wikipedia. Since last semester, I started to use Wikipedia and edit some articles on it. Actually, It was not easy for me to use it. Because its base is structured well, so I have to know the rules for editing and some regulation that I have to obey. Editing on Wikipedia is not that simple but it also suggests some guides that kindly let me know about it. Therefore, I could edit on Wikipedia constantly and it helped me a lot in various ways. I have 3 classes that is related with Wikipedia this semester and these classes were really helpful for me. I strongly believe that Wikipedia help me understand the concept of globalization because of its features.

At first, I believe that Wikipedia is a product of collective intelligence. It is not just an encyclopedia. Users all over the world use, read, modify, and edit the articles on Wikipedia. In other words, everybody share their information and knowledge on a website and it is the Wikipedia. Moreover, other users are able to delete my article if it is not useful information or incorrect. And I can get some advice and feedback from Wiki users. Collective intelligence is well-shown in Wikipedia.

Secondly, everybody can use Wikipedia with its special feature that it runs freely. As Wikipedia is free, it is open source to everyone globally. It also offers more than 240 languages for using it. It means that Wikipedia is an global website. According to these points, Wikipedia let me know that my creature on Wikipedia can edited by other user all around the world. In addition, one of my article that I created and edited is shown at the main page of Wikipedia. So, large numbers of Wiki users all around the world read my article and some of them also edited on my creation. I have never imagine that it is possible to work on one thing with various nations of people. But, it was possible. Because it is Wikipedia!

For this semester, I have done it really hard for editing on Wikipedia. and I am really proud of myself that I am one of Wiki users who share their knowledge at open field. Wikipedia is really helpful for me not only to understand the concept of globalization but also to be one of the global group members.

No comments:

Post a Comment